Header

Header

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Beauty 101 | Easy Smokey Eye + Pop of Purple



I think every girl should have in her arsenal the ability to create a black smokey eye. When done correctly, and with some patience and blending, it can really look amazing... Not like you just got punched in both eyes because that just isn't cute. Now I get that this isn't an everyday kind of look, but it's perfect for nights out when you want to glam things up. Here I'm going to show you how I achieve a black smokey eye and I'm going to add a pop of purple to the lower lash line, just to make it more fun. Keep reading to see how I did this :)
 First things first, you'll want to prime your eyelids to prevent any creasing of the eyeshadows. Dark shadows especially have a tendency to crease and get patchy on oily eyelids. I used a basic primer, my ELF Mineral Eyeshadow Primer


Next, take a medium, warm-toned matte brown eyeshadow and blend that into your upper crease. This will be our transition shade. I used "Soft Brown" by MAC

After that is blended, blend a little bit of a darker, matte berry toned shade into the crease. This will help blend out our black a little smoother. Black shadow can be hard to blend without looking patchy, so this shade will help with that. I used "Blackberry" by MAC.

Now for the black. Pack on a matte black shadow onto the lid. I used "Crave" from my Urban Decay Naked Basics palette. 

Blend out the edges of the black. You can use a little more of the other shades too, to smooth things out. 

Highlight the brow bone and inner corner with a white shimmer shade. Here, I used "Nylon" by MAC. This shade is perfect for highligjting, as it's soft and subtle without having too much shimmer. 

Now for the lower lash line. Line you waterline and lower lashes with either a purple eyeliner or purple shadow stick. I used my NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in "Purple Velvet" for this. 

Next, take a purple eyeshadow and blend that into the liner/shadow stick. This helps soften the cream product as well as set it to prevent any purple from smudging under your eyes. I used Milani's Bella Eyes Gel Powder Eyeshadow in "Bella Violet" (longest name ever!).

Now, you can stop here and add some mascara, but I wanted a little more dramatic so I added some winged gel liner. I just used my ELF Cream Eyeliner in black for this step. 

Finally throw on some false lashes and add some mascara.

And that's it! See? Simple! Anyone can do this. This look is so versatile too. You can easily swap out the black for any color and customize it to your own style. 

I hope you enjoyed this and if you like seeing blog tutorials like this, let me know in the comments! 

Until next time,
xoxo
LivforLashes 




Products used:

Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz and Brow Powder Duo on the brows. Want to see a brow tutorial? Let me know! 

Follow me on Twitter! @LivforLashes

IG @livforlashes come check out my page, follow and like!

Email: liv_2008@icloud.com










6 comments:

  1. Love this and you make it look so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It really is simple if you remember to blend after each step. blend blend blend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. came acrost ur blog from makeup social. i really like what u post so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this look! Thank you for showing how to apply everything step by step. The purple eyeshadow and liner at the lower lash lash line really makes the look stand out. I also adore the perfectly drawn winged eyeliner! That being said, how was the application of the eyeliner using the RT Silicone Brush? I was wondering if I should invest in the brush and gel liner just to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And as far as the RT brush, it's good if your gel liner is really smooth and creamy. If your liner is even the slightest but dried out its difficult to work with. I like it but I don't love it so its a brush you could probably do without.

      Delete