Header

Header

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipsticks | Review + Swatch

If you follow me on Instagram (@livforlashes) you'd have seen back in January that I posted a picture of my order of liquid lipsticks by Anastasia Beverly Hills. I had every intention of doing a review and swatch post about them a lot sooner, but after reading a ton of conflicting reviews on them, I really wanted to take my time with wearing them and getting to know each shade that I bought to learn about the wear, the formula, etc.

 Almost every IG or YouTube beauty "guru" (I loathe that term) had nothing but positive things to say, but then again, they received them for free and probably got paid to say nice things. Then on the other side of things, a lot of people said they hated them. That's why I wanted to form my own opinion on them. So I wore each shade for a few days straight so I could give you guys my most honest review possible, if you're looking into buying a few of these. There was also a bit of controversy that maybe these were repackaged products from Hot Makeup, which has the exact same shades only different names and a buck cheaper. 

First off with the packaging, they come in the standard ABH black box with silver and rose gold writing. Very low-key. The tube themselves are clear plastic with a silver lid. On the top of the tube by the lid, is a gold band with the infinity symbol, and the brand name written on the side of the tube. In the bottom is a sticker with the shade name. The product does feel quite heavy and high end though, if that's such a thing. 
 
I bought the shades Milk Shake, Pure Hollywood, Lovely, Baby Pink, Retro Coral, Carina, Persimmon, American Doll, Vamp, and Sad Girl. 

The application was kind of hard with some of these. A few of the shades like Milk Shake, Vamp and Retro Coral were very streaky when I was applying them. I'd swipe a layer on, and when I'd go back to make it more opaque, it's like the first layer wiped off and made the lipstick uneven and kind of chunky. Another thing is that these are quite messy. Vamp, Lovely, Persimmon and Milk Shake had so much product on the doe foot applicator, that I had the scrape a ton off on the lip of the tube, which caused lipstick to smear all over when I closed the tube up. These shades I found were better to apply with a lip brush. Also, they don't dry very fast. I had to apply a layer, let it set for a min or two, then CAREFULLY apply another layer then let it set again. And since it does take a while to set, you can mix shades for a custom color which is fun. It took a while but once I got the application down, they looked and felt pretty nice. They weren't drying though which is awesome for a liquid matte lipstick. They did feel quite moisturizing without being sticky or making my lips feel tight and gunky. And some of the shades were just amazing, like Pure Hollywood, Carina and Sad Girl. 

Once set, removal was kind of hard, expected since these are "long lasting." Makeup wipes didn't cut it, so I recommend an oil based makeup remover. 

*All Swatches are one Swipe*

Milk Shake



This is the lightest in the range. It looked much more pink online but it's really almost a white with a pink base. Without lip liner, this one is a little streaky and clumps up in the corners of the mouth. It did dry more pink though thankfully. This one lasted about 5 hours before wearing off in the middle of my lips.  

Pure Hollywood



This is a dusty pink shade. It sold out pretty quickly and for good reason. It's perfectly pigmented in one swipe. It dried more brown than pink, almost like KVD Lolita. It lasted almost all day with only one touch up and it didn't sink into my lip lines or flake off. 

Lovely



Just as the name suggests, this is a lovely dusty rose color. It goes on really smooth with no streaks and it lasted about 6 hours before fading away. It dried to this pretty mauve-y color. 

Baby Pink



This pink is a little neon but it went on pretty well, only slightly streaky when I went to touch up. It lasted a good 6-7 hours before fading away in the center of my lips. This was another one that was quite streaky during application. 

Retro Coral



This is a bright salmon shade that I love. It was a little streaky at first but it was easier to apply than some of the other shades. It's a little too neon to be totally wearable for me, so this is definitely a statement lipstick, but it did tone down a bit once dry. It faded away quicker than some of the other shades, lasting about 3 hours before getting patchy. 

Carina



Favorite shade here! This is a super pretty bright cool toned pink. It's a little dryer than the rest, which actually made application a little easier. It lasted literally 9 hours before wearing off. I got a ton of compliments on this one :D

Persimmon



This is an orange saturated red. It goes on smooth with no streaks, but it's definitely unforgiving if you mess up and need concealer for a touch up, as it smeared a little. This one also lasted a good 7 hours.  

American Doll



This one is a true blue based red. It's so beautiful on the lips, but it's a pain to apply. It seems a little thinner in consistency so it smeared a bit. I'd definitely use a lip brush for this one. It did last about 6 hours though without getting patchy which is pretty decent. 

Vamp



A red with brown undertones, this one is so unique and just beautiful on the lips. This one was hard to apply since it is one the messier ones I talked about, but once on, it looked nice. It lasted about 5 hours, but when it faded off, it left a weird lip line of color. 

Sad Girl



This one is hands down my favorite out of the bunch. It's a deep purple wine shade but what makes it so unique is that even though it's matte, it has tiny skimmers throughout it making it almost metallic. This one was easy to apply and lasted about 7 hours before wearing off. 

If I were to give these a rating between one and ten, I'd say they're about a 7. Once I got the application down, they really were really nice and they've become one of my favorite liquid lipsticks, next to Kat Von D. However, they are a little messy, they are expensive, the formula leaves something to be desired, but they have potential. These are $20 a piece, which is pretty steep, but I think the name is what you're essentially paying for, as I think you can find other brands with the same if not better formulas. 

What do you guys think? Love them or hate them? I'd love to know since these seem to be a hit or miss with everyone. If you do like them, which shades did you get or which ones do you want?


You can find the Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipsticks on her website. 

Let's keep in touch!
Follow me on Twitter! @LivforLashes

Find me on Instagram @livforlashes

Email: liv_2008@icloud.com

2 comments:

  1. I agree, they werent as good as they were hyped up to be, but after messing with them i LOVE them! especially Potion and Pure Hollywood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potion is one I've been on the fence about! How do you like it?

      Delete