Header

Header

Monday, October 20, 2014

Halloween Series | Day 1- Barnacled Mermaid

So big news, everyone! Starting today I'll be doing a Halloween series. Halloween is by far my favorite holiday besides Fourth of July (it's just not appropriate to lounge around in a bathing suit drinking beer in October) and I always have so much fun dressing up and doing some crazy makeup. It's the one time of year where everyone can get a little crazy without being judged and I looove it. So, for the next ten days I will post a pictorial on a different Halloween appropriate look ranging from glam, to a little gory and a bit in between. So without anyone more nonsense...

The first look in my series is a mermaid. I know, I know, everyone and their mother has done a mermaid, but I always see different variations of essentially the same thing: blue and purple "scales" made by using a net or some kind of mesh. I wanted something different. I wanted scales hanging off my face. And I wanted barnacles. Yes barnacles. Something ugly on a pretty face. 

For this look you will need:
Cheerios cereal (weird, but it makes sense later on)
Glitter or eyelash glue
Liquid latex
Tissue 
White face paint 
Iridescent eyeshadows (I used my Morphe Brushes 35B palette)
Colorful eyeliner
False lashes
Lipstick

1. Soak your Cheerios in liquid latex briefly and then set out for a few minutes to get tacky. These are our barnacles. Once they are tacky, stick them on your face using the glue wherever you want barnacles. Make bigger barnacles by rolling tissue into a tube and sticking it in a ring shape on your skin. 

2. Dampen the area around the Cheerios with liquid latex. Next, get a small piece of the tissue and lay it over the top of the Cheerios, sealing it with latex on the damp latex on the skin. Repeat this several times for texture and to mute out the color of the cereal (we don't want zombies to get the munchies for Cheerios when we're out at a party or trick or treating).

3. Stipple latex with a disposable sponge in small oval shipped patches wherever you want "scales" to be. Let dry and apply another few layers. I did this to my cheek bones and forehead.

4. Mix some white face paint with a little foundation and apply all over your face and neck/shoulders, including over your newly acquired deep sea friends. Set with a translucent or white powder. 

5. Apply your eye makeup any way you want. I chose purples and pinks with bright blue eyebrows. I also used an aqua liner under my lower lashes and a blue shimmer liquid liner to make a wing. Use pink, teal and purple shadows to "contour" and shade your face. 

6. Now, use blues, browns, dark greens and a little black to color in your barnacle patches to make them look nasty and sea-like. My husband didn't appreciate looking at me shading my craters on my face. 

7. Grab your tweezers and start to gently peel the latex patches halfway off, away from the face. This gives the scales the effect of falling off. Just a note** this part hurts a little if you have fine hairs on your face, but no worse than an eyebrow wax. 

8. Shade the areas around and under the lifted scales. 

9. Finally, add some crazy flared lashes and a bright pink lip and voila! Slightly gross, barnacle-covered, but still beautiful mermaid. 




I really hope you enjoyed reading this post! I had a ton of fun creating this look and I think I'll definitely be rocking this at a party this year! Have you done any mermaid looks, or want to recreate this look? Let me know in the comments and be sure to follow me on my other social media accounts for more makeup and beauty tid bits!

xoxo
LivforLashes

Follow me on Twitter! @LivforLashes

IG @livforlashes come check out my page, follow and like!

Email: liv_2008@icloud.com



No comments:

Post a Comment