Header

Header

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Gerard Cosmetics | Review + Swatch


Recently, everywhere I look, whether it be on blogs I follow, or YouTube and Instagram, everyone has been raving about Gerard Cosmetics. I told myself that there was nothing special about their products and that I didn’t need anything from them. Well, after thoughtful consideration and looking at tons of swatches and reviews online, I caved and decided to purchase some of their lipsticks and glosses. When I received them in the mail (fast shipping, I ordered on a Friday morning and they came to my door by the next Wednesday) I was actually pretty excited.

Let’s talk about the lipsticks. First impression on the packaging is that it is gorgeous! There’s something about gold packaging that just feels luxurious and expensive that I love, so these were right up my alley. The lipsticks come in a gold, rounded bullet with a simple “Gerard Cosmetics” logo on the bottom of the bullet. The tube is made of plastic, so it does feel slightly cheap, but the lids stay on just fine, which is something I always look for with lipsticks. Nothing bugs me more about lipstick than lids falling off in the purse. I decided to go for more neutral shades for my first order, and I also wanted to try shades that I’ve heard the most buzz about, so I ordered 1995, Nude and Buttercup. All three are smooth on the lips and have good pigmentation. One swipe gave a good amount of coverage on my lips. They are a cream formula with an almost matte finish which I dig.

1995
So this was a given. I HAD to order it. 1995 has literally been everywhere since it came out so I knew I wanted to try it. This is one of the shades that Jaclyn Hill helped create. On the lips it’s very beautiful. It’s a dusty rose brown shade, similar to velvet teddy by MAC. It’s a darker nude, and definitely has that 1990’s vibe. I love this one. I’ve been wearing it almost every day.

Buttercup
Buttercup is another shade that Jaclyn Hill collaborated with Gerard Cosmetics to create. It is that perfect pink nude shade, not too pink and not too light to wash you out. This one is probably my favorite between the three that I bought. It is creamy and long wearing too which is a bonus.

Nude
Just as the name suggests, this is a nude shade. It is very neutral shade, almost no dominant undertones at all, making it perfect for lighter skin complexions. Us fair skinned gals have a hard time finding a perfect nude lipstick so this one works pretty well. I found that using a slightly darker lip liner with this shade gave it a little more dimension though, since it did look a little flat on its own.


Now onto the Color Your Smile lip glosses. Again, the packaging is beautiful. They are a study, squares tube with a gold lid. The lid has a simple “GC” for the logo and a small mirror for application on the opposite side. What makes these glosses unique is not only the mirror, but when you open the glosses up, there is a small LED light meant to help with application if you are in darker areas. This would be perfect for maybe in a club or a dimmed down restaurant or something, but I found the light to be a bit of a distraction. It gave me a false sense of what the color of the gloss would be. I love the idea of it though, especially since it isn’t anything seen before.
Again I went for more neutral, popular shades, and again including two shades co-created with Jaclyn Hill. I bought Rose Hill, Shimmer of Hope and Buttercream. The lip glosses have a light citrus-y scent to them, which is a nice change from the typical vanilla or sugary scented lip products.

Rose Hill
I was drawn to Rose Hill because I’ve really been loving rose and coral lip products. This one is amazing! I was blown away with how pigmented it is for a lip gloss. Very opaque and not patchy or streaky at all after it’s applied. This gloss did feel a little sticky at first which I definitely didn’t like, but after toughing it out for a few minutes it felt nice and smooth on the lips. This was a shade by Jaclyn Hill.

Shimmer of Hope
This is a very deceiving shade. In the tube it looks like a very boring beige-pinky nude gloss, but on the lips it’s beautiful. It’s a very nondescript color that can easily be worn over tons of different lipsticks to enhance them. This was the other shade by Jaclyn Hill.

Buttercream
Buttercream is a light pink toned gloss. Again, this one is nice and opaque and beautiful on the lips either alone, or layered on top of a lipstick. Whenever I go for glosses, I typically pick a pink shade close to my actual lip color, and this one is spot on. This one did feel a tiny bit more sticky than the other ones, but nothing too bad.

Overall, I would give Gerard Cosmetics a 9/10. The packaging is beautiful, the actual products are smooth and creamy and I really like the formulas of the lipsticks. I could do without the citrus scent and the light, but they definitely help these lip products stand out amongst a million other lip products out there.
Have you tried any products from Gerard Cosmetics? What are your thoughts? Let know in the comments!

xoxo
LivforLashes
 
I dug around online and found some coupons for you to try!

      *Use code "lipsix" to get The Sultry Six for $59 ($70 off!)

      *Use code "3for30" on the Lipstick 3 Pack to get 3 lipsticks for $30

      *Use code "Gems" on Jaclyn's Gems for $30 off (Courtesy of Jaclyn Hill) 

      *Use code "carli40" to get the Cinco de Lip Gloss 5 pack for $40 (Courtesy of Carli Bybel)

Follow me on Twitter! @LivforLashes

Find me on Instagram @livforlashes

Email: liv_2008@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment