Header

Header

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Lime Crime Venus Palette | Review + Swatch

Hey everyone! I'm super excited to be writing this post right now. A couple of weeks ago, I ordered the Venus palette by Lime Crime, and it came in the mail last week! This palette was launched a few months ago in October and unfortunately I missed ordering it the first time it was in stock (it sold out sooo fast!) but the second I saw that it was back in stock I didn't hesitate to buy it. 
Now I know that there has been a lot of controversy over Lime Crime and its creator, Doe Deere, over the last few years, but not having tried any of their products myself, I am unbiased. I think that a product is what should speak for a brand, even if there is drama surrounding it. And after just swatching this palette, I have to say, it is well worth the money.

The colors in the palette are inspired by 90's era grunge, all of them rusty-red and warm tones. The inspiration was to have a palette of neutrals but not your typical browns and beige shades like so many other palettes have. The packaging is amazing with a re-vamped version of Mash Botticelli's classical painting, The Birth of Venus, with gold border detailing. It's a cardboard palette, but it seems pretty sturdy with a magnetic closure. 

It has eight shades, ranging from a soft cream shade, to vibrant corals all the way to burgundy-red. Every shadow is super pigmented and really smooth and buttery. They are super easy to blend out to create soft eye looks, or just as easy to layer to create deeper more bold looks. The pans of the shadows are a pretty decent size too which is a nice surprise. Let's take a look at each shade in the palette.

The first shade in the top row is Venus. This is described as a Velvet matte shade, the color of bruised fruit. It's a dark rust colored red and super pigmented. This one reminds me if Sangria by Anastasia Beverly Hills, with less sheen to it. 

Next to venus is Shell. Shell is a "glow" shade (shimmer) described as an opalescent shell-pink. It comes off as more of a frosty salmon color than pink but still beautiful. This one also blends well and pigmentation is good also. 

Third in line is Aura, also a "glow" shade. This one is described as a golden ivory. This one is exactly as it's described, it is an soft ivory with a golden shimmer throughout. When applied wet, this shadow has the most amazing metallic quality to it.

The last one in the top row is Creation, a matte rust-brown shade. It's swatches more orange than brown in natural lighting, almost like a terra cotta color. 

Moving on to the bottom row, first up is Icon, a dark matte brown. This is the darkest shade in the palette and though it swatches really opaque and pigmented, I found that blending takes a lot of the product away and I had to layer it on to make it as dark as I wanted. It's also not truly matte, as it has a slight sheen to it. 

Next to that is Rebirth, a matte orange shade described as the color of an over-ripe nectarine. This is by far my favorite shade in the palette. It's a dark orange color and it is sooo pigmented and so easy to blend. 

Following that is Divine. This is a matte "dusty stone" shade. It's a cool toned brown, perfect for a transition color. This is the more muted of all the shades. It is very sheer and was kind of hard to pick up enough product to show up on my skin. 

Last in the palette is Muse. This is a beautiful matte burgundy red shade. This is another shade that blends really well, but I found it to be a tiny bit chalky. It can get patchy thought if you start out with too much product in your brush. 


Venus, Shell, Aura, Creation, Icon, Rebirth, Divine, Muse

Overall I have to say that I love this palette. It's so original and I love that it's so versatile, given that the shades are all pretty similar. I would have liked to see a matte black, but again the beauty of this palette is that's it's unlike other eyeshadow palettes. I can definitely see this becoming one of my favorites. 

Did any of you pick up the Venus Palette? What are your thoughts? Let me know in the comments!

xoxo
LivforLashes

Follow me on Twitter! @LivforLashes

Find me on Instagram @livforlashes

Email: liv_2008@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment